Alea Iacta Est

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Alea Iacta Est

Rolling Dice for Pretend Stuff

4 posters

Cold Ambition - Game Thread

Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Cold Ambition - Game Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Cold Ambition - Game Thread

Post by Jamros Mageblood Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:10 am

"For the last time it is work not always pleasure, my passion is of the chaotic variety. But that doesn't keep from treatin myself with extra coin. I'm simply here to keep you fellas out of trouble. Now where can I find a stiff drink?" I look around and keep an eye out for anything that might stand out or seem suspicious.
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 am

I chuckle and walk off with a final "I mean for the farm hand!"

As i walk head to the market, I take in the sights of the town.
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 am

Sigh "yeah yeah, babysitter duty as always. We'll make our way that way. Let's go, my friend" waving Bryan along, "you and I both know you have a knack of finding people and after we find farmhand, we drink. Agree?" popping my pipe back in meh mouth while I put an arm around Bryan's shoulder. I whisper to Bryan with a sly grim," let's do this quick cause I could use a drink."
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am

I walk along with Zorra into the streets of the town and observe the people, "These places always have such an intrigue to them. Business and chatter in the crowds as if nothing sinister is going on in the alleyways and outskirts of their safe little homes. Now where should we look first?" I try to remember any layout of the town and who we should speak to for a farmhand.
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 am

As I get to the market, I try to see if I recognize any of the merchants. I keep an eye out for anyone that might be a threat, as a former urchin, I know that evil lurks in every corner....especially when I am in that corner.

I palm my small knife just in case I have to make a quick strike. My pet mouse, Ein, squeaks from my pocket. "Hush little one, I am aware that the city is not your favorite place."
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Tolr'ax wrote:We head out to our respective tasks.

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"...Now where can I find a stiff drink?" I look around and keep an eye out for anything that might stand out or seem suspicious.

Tolr'ax wrote:As i walk head to the market, I take in the sights of the town.

Dook wrote:"...We'll make our way that way. Let's go, my friend" waving Bryan along, "you and I both know you have a knack of finding people and after we find farmhand, we drink. Agree?"

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"...Now where should we look first?" I try to remember any layout of the town and who we should speak to for a farmhand.

Tolr'ax wrote:As I get to the market, I try to see if I recognize any of the merchants. I keep an eye out for anyone that might be a threat, as a former urchin, I know that evil lurks in every corner....especially when I am in that corner.

Sid knows these parts fairly well. He recognizes many faces of farmers, tanners, and other assorted vendors. Good for you.

Bryan and Zorra, too, are familiar with this town. The best place to look, in truth, is in the Southromp, the poorer district of working stiffs - mixed bag therein, capable hands, but not altogether unseedy.
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:49 pm

"Come on chicken wings. Let us check out the Southromp, not my favorite part of town, but it will be our best bet for someone who needs the money." I continue on and make my way to that part of town.
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm

"Ight, sounds well enough. We might be doing this new worker a favor. Getting him out of this poor district. Let's see who we can pull up from the gutter."
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:36 pm

The Southromp is a more disheleved version of the town as a whole. It has it's own meager economy, of sorts, and there's a light bustle on the streets. The smell of urine and beer - and other things - hangs in the air.

There are folk about. Take your pick.
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 pm

I look around for someone strong and sensible, basically the most sober person around. I look to Zorra, "Would you think it to much if I conjured up a "Help Wanted" sign?" I laugh.
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Do I see any of my favorite merchants? Some that would be interested in mah wares?
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Jamros Mageblood wrote:I look around for someone strong and sensible, basically the most sober person around. I look to Zorra, "Would you think it to much if I conjured up a "Help Wanted" sign?" I laugh.

There are a few options.

Comgha. Male human. Wears leather armor and carries a scimitar, but appears scrawny. His hair is silvery grey, and hai wizened face is flanked by prominent ears. He has a hawk perched on his shoulder.

Vaca. Female Human. She has silver hair and brown eyes, and a flat nose. She wears modest garments and several small tools hang from her belt. She works a belt knife gutting some critter with cruel efficiency.

Lomna. Male Human. Lomna is rough in appearance, with braided gray hair and hazel eyes. He wears tailored clothing and a sable fur cloak. He does not appear to be armed, unlikely considering the quality of that cloak.

Esnach. Male Human. Esnach has gray hair and dark hazel eyes, and a hooked nose. He wears sturdy clothing and carries a birch staff. He seems agreeable and has a spark of humor in his eyes.

Tolr'ax wrote:Do I see any of my favorite merchants? Some that would be interested in mah wares?

Well, sure. You're well enough known, and a frequent enough visitor. There's a day one named Daelgon, a short one named Caelbir, and a tall one named Luntzen. Each would be interested.
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm

"I will take that female human there, she shows promise, you take your pick my friend." I walk over to her and greet the silver hair human. "Hello there, damn handy with that blade. I have a proposition for you if you're interested."

Last edited by Jamros Mageblood on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 pm

"Caelbir!" I exclaim as I walk over. "How long has it been? A month? Two? I have some fresh stock, if ye interested!" I gesture to my wagon, full of stock. "Also, the boys and I are lookin' for a farm hand, if ye know anyone who might need the work. I got the boys out lookin' but you know how they can be."
    I laugh and put on my best sales smile.
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"I will take that female human there, she shows promise, you take your pick my friend." I walk over to her and greet the silver hair human. "Hello there, damn handy with that blade. I have a proposition for you if you're interested."

She casts a baleful eye at you, hands continuing their bloody work. She appraised you, clearly unimpressed. With a *plop* she puts the body parts aside, then spits. "What proposition, Puff?"

Tolr'ax wrote:"Caelbir!" I exclaim as I walk over. "How long has it been? A month? Two? I have some fresh stock, if ye interested!" I gesture to my wagon, full of stock. "Also, the boys and I are lookin' for a farm hand, if ye know anyone who might need the work. I got the boys out lookin' but you know how they can be."
    I laugh and put on my best sales smile.

Caelbir nods, waving away his workers who were busy taking down the displayed goods - business day was over, the sun already sliding towards the horizon. He appraises the goods. "How much for the pelts?"
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:18 pm

"Got a farm that needs tending while my partners and I are away, there's been word of trouble goin around with the recent wars. I need to know if you're capable and up for the task. Your compensation will be more than fair."
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 am

"Usual price my friend. Better get 'em while we got em, rumor is Talley's been sendin' his men to take supplies."
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:40 am

Tolr'ax wrote:"Usual price my friend. Better get 'em while we got em, rumor is Talley's been sendin' his men to take supplies."

"Worral's on the warpath, too. His brutes ransacked Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. I tell you what, that was a warning more than anything else. Those three got more weight across the north than Worral does, and he knows it. I tell you what, I'd bet my fat wife's virtue that he owed them money, too! He did that to cow them. I tell you what, he's going to piss on enough folks round these parts he's going to have a cursed time come tax season. Or there'll be blood!"

He continues on like this for several minutes, all the circling the wagon and looking over the goods. He holds you in rapt attention, however, such is his personality. Suddenly he breaks off mid-sentence, something about Worral's slut daughters and questionable activities with fish, and jabs one finger in your face and another into the bed of the wagon.

"Tell you what, how much have you got on this wagon? I'll buy the lot if you go five silver a hide. Don't gollywash me now, you know I'm the best man on this yard for you, and with winter coming, now's the time to sell! Look here, I tell you, Talley and Worral both about - when's next time you gonna have a chance to visit, or stockpile this much, eh? Two hides a gold piece," he flips out a shiny coin, and slams it into your hand, "for all you've got. Come on now, don't just stand there, say yes like you mean it!"

Caelbir is a bear of a man, and an impressive force of nature. His silver and red-shock beard only adds to the impression that this man, should he ever slow down or stop talking, might explode from pent-up energy. He stares at you, eyes wide, anticipating a response. Time seems to slow in that moment, and you are very aware that you haven't said a single word since he began his tirade.
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 am

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"Got a farm that needs tending while my partners and I are away, there's been word of trouble goin around with the recent wars. I need to know if you're capable and up for the task. Your compensation will be more than fair."

She considers you once more. "Tending a farm ain't a problem. What duties? And more, what compensation?" She jabs her knife in your direction as punctuation.
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 am

"Caelbir, my friend, you buy me a drink of ale at the Blind Bantam, and you got yer'self a deal."
    I pat him on the back and look around. "Seems like you know all the good rumors, and I love a good rumor. The boys'll want to hear about all this nonsense goin' on with Worral and Talley"

Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:48 am

"A penguin farm to be exact. Feed em', protect em', breed em'. And of course once they've gotten nice and plump, skin the furs, bottle the blubber, and package the meat..." I look her up and down, admiring her fierceness, "you're safety is you own responsibility, not that I'm worried." I grin and grab my coin pouch. "Payment is a Silver a day until we return, plus some food to keep you through the winter. Those are the terms."
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am

I seem too have gone into a daze. I look at Bryan already consoling someone for the position. I walk up to the man with the staff. "You handy with that staff? If so, I have an offer that you might be interested in." I say in a low tone.
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:56 am

Tolr'ax wrote:"Caelbir, my friend, you buy me a drink of ale at the Blind Bantam, and you got yer'self a deal."
    I pat him on the back and look around. "Seems like you know all the good rumors, and I love a good rumor. The boys'll want to hear about all this nonsense goin' on with Worral and Talley"

"Ha! You're a good lad." He turns to his men, just finishing packing away their own things. "Brus, relieve Sid of his effects! I want those loaded and stowed by the time my arse hits the sheets." A half dozen men spring to work crawling all over the wagon and unloading the pelts. [Was it only pelts? How many did you have? Do the math as provided in your farm almanac.]

Caelbir turns back to you, "The Bantam has a black southern ale that'll shrivel your boyos - eh, in a good way, you have my word! As to the rumors, I speak only truths of the shining light. I have it on the utmost authority! I tell you what, there's some around..." and off you go with his tongue wagging all sorts of nuggets and nonsense.

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"A penguin farm to be exact. Feed em', protect em', breed em'. And of course once they've gotten nice and plump, skin the furs, bottle the blubber, and package the meat..." I look her up and down, admiring her fierceness, "you're safety is you own responsibility, not that I'm worried." I grin and grab my coin pouch. "Payment is a Silver a day until we return, plus some food to keep you through the winter. Those are the terms."

"Sokituem, eh? Yeah, I heard of ye." She gets up and moves to another batch of blood and guts. "A silver won't do, and you know it. It's not the work; I don't mind the work. I'll outwork any rutting brute you find in this town. That what you say is a lot of responsibility, though. You want me to run things, to handle myself and your livelihood. That's two gold a day, no question." She turns to you, baleful and fierce. "And not a copper less." The words are spit like a strong venom. She wipes her hand and extends it, still blood-stained. "Deal?"

Dook wrote:I seem too have gone into a daze. I look at Bryan already consoling someone for the position. I walk up to the man with the staff. "You handy with that staff? If so, I have an offer that you might be interested in." I say in a low tone.

He nods with a smile. "Sure. What've you got?"
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Tel. to Zorra, "I'm hurting over here buddy, she's good but trying to empty our pockets. get you a candidate and get over here.
    Back to Vaca "I see where you're coming from, but my partners would certainly disagree." I look at her with a stern face and in a calm voice, "One gold a day, plus five when we depart, and five when we return. I like you, but I don't enjoy being taken advantage of. Besides, you aren't our only candidate for the job."
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm

[We'll say it was 40 of our 47 pelts, 10 casks of blubber, and 75lbs of bone; if he is getting 40 pelts only, 20 gold]

"Aye, Caelbir, sounds like the right stuff. Would ye' mind holdin' my wagon at yer warehouse for the night? Gotta sell the rest of my supplies in the mornin'. Wouldn't trust anyone else, I'll throw in a couple pounds o' bone for the trouble."

We head over to the inn. Chatting along the way about the two warring lords. My frustration with the whole situation is not hidden. As we move along the road. I take in the town's smell and sounds.
    "I miss livin' in the city sometimes. The wood though, my farm, the openness...that's my true home though. I remember when I was a lad comin' up, the other children on the streets and I always dreamed of livin' in the mansions, drinkin' in the taverns whenever we wanted, throwin' gold 'round with no cares. Then, I was, eh, 'bout 10 I figure, I was thievin' 'round the market, gettin' few coppers here and there, when I cut a purse, and 3 gold fell into my hand. First time I ever held gold. I let out a gasp of excitement, then a hard fist came 'round and knocked me in the head and down into the dirt I went. I looked up, bloodied face, saw a man towerin' over me. Was the guy's body guard, Mercenary, he took the gold from the ground and gave it back to the rich fella. Grabbed me up and put his hand 'round my face and squeezed, said "I got some options here, boy. One, I stab ya in the belly and let you die in the dirt...that's the easiest option. Two, I turn ye into the guard o'er there, and ye hang or sit in a cell for a few years. Or three" then he got real quiet, whisperin'" so 'is lord wouldn't hear, said "I can let ye go, and ye follow us to the town gate, out inta th' wood, and we take this bloke for e'erthin' he's worth." He pushed me down to the dirt again and kicked me in the arse."

I chuckle. "Outside the gate, I followed 'em bout a mile. Just the merchant, the mercenary, an' the wagon driver. I snuck ahead of 'em and the mercenary spied me, soon as he did, he drove a sword through the driver's side. I jumped onto the wagon and grabbed the merchant's dagger, put it to his throat. Mercenary just put his sword right in 'is belly. Turns out, wasn't no gold in the wagon...just books. Mercenary thought they were chests full o' gold, cause the weight. We burned the wagon, took his purse, made it look like bandits. I got 5 gold from it all thought I was rich! haha...the mercenary was impressed with me. Took me in. Taught me bout the lands, took me all over the island. Taught me how to fight like a real man. Taught me how to survive in nature. Swords, longbows, spears. Taught me to be the man I am today. Never lived in the city again after that day."

I look over to Caelbir to see his reaction to my story. Doesn't seem like he was listening at all.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:49 am