Alea Iacta Est

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Alea Iacta Est

Rolling Dice for Pretend Stuff

4 posters

Cold Ambition - Game Thread

Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Cold Ambition - Game Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Cold Ambition - Game Thread

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Jamros Mageblood wrote:Tel. to Zorra, "I'm hurting over here buddy, she's good but trying to empty our pockets. get you a candidate and get over here.
    Back to Vaca "I see where you're coming from, but my partners would certainly disagree." I look at her with a stern face and in a calm voice, "One gold a day, plus five when we depart, and five when we return. I like you, but I don't enjoy being taken advantage of. Besides, you aren't our only candidate for the job."

She barks a sour laugh. "Get your ass off my stoop then. I didn't come asking, you did. Want to trust one of these dregs to your hearth and home, well that's on you isn't it? How many of 'em can field dress thirty pounds of flesh ready for sale in the time we've been having this conversation? Look around, are any of them actually working, or are they just wasting the day away?" She slings some worthless entrails near your feet; it wasn't an accident. "And how many of them are sober this late in the day do you think?"

Tolr'ax wrote:[We'll say it was 40 of our 47 pelts, 10 casks of blubber, and 75lbs of bone; if he is getting 40 pelts only, 20 gold]

"Aye, Caelbir, sounds like the right stuff. Would ye' mind holdin' my wagon at yer warehouse for the night? Gotta sell the rest of my supplies in the mornin'. Wouldn't trust anyone else, I'll throw in a couple pounds o' bone for the trouble."

We head over to the inn. Chatting along the way about the two warring lords. My frustration with the whole situation is not hidden. As we move along the road. I take in the town's smell and sounds.
    "I miss livin' in the city sometimes. The wood though, my farm, the openness...that's my true home though. I remember when I was a lad comin' up, the other children on the streets and I always dreamed of livin' in the mansions, drinkin' in the taverns whenever we wanted, throwin' gold 'round with no cares. Then, I was, eh, 'bout 10 I figure, I was thievin' 'round the market, gettin' few coppers here and there, when I cut a purse, and 3 gold fell into my hand. First time I ever held gold. I let out a gasp of excitement, then a hard fist came 'round and knocked me in the head and down into the dirt I went. I looked up, bloodied face, saw a man towerin' over me. Was the guy's body guard, Mercenary, he took the gold from the ground and gave it back to the rich fella. Grabbed me up and put his hand 'round my face and squeezed, said "I got some options here, boy. One, I stab ya in the belly and let you die in the dirt...that's the easiest option. Two, I turn ye into the guard o'er there, and ye hang or sit in a cell for a few years. Or three" then he got real quiet, whisperin'" so 'is lord wouldn't hear, said "I can let ye go, and ye follow us to the town gate, out inta th' wood, and we take this bloke for e'erthin' he's worth." He pushed me down to the dirt again and kicked me in the arse."

I chuckle. "Outside the gate, I followed 'em bout a mile. Just the merchant, the mercenary, an' the wagon driver. I snuck ahead of 'em and the mercenary spied me, soon as he did, he drove a sword through the driver's side. I jumped onto the wagon and grabbed the merchant's dagger, put it to his throat. Mercenary just put his sword right in 'is belly. Turns out, wasn't no gold in the wagon...just books. Mercenary thought they were chests full o' gold, cause the weight. We burned the wagon, took his purse, made it look like bandits. I got 5 gold from it all thought I was rich! haha...the mercenary was impressed with me. Took me in. Taught me bout the lands, took me all over the island. Taught me how to fight like a real man. Taught me how to survive in nature. Swords, longbows, spears. Taught me to be the man I am today. Never lived in the city again after that day."

I look over to Caelbir to see his reaction to my story. Doesn't seem like he was listening at all.....

[You decide how much you're willing to part with. Caelbir will buy any of it, just update your Farm almanac.]

Oh, he nods and makes noise as expected, the "oohs" and "mhmm" as your story went along. His eyes all over the place, occasionally waving or calling out to folks he knew. They were many. You get the impression he got the gist, but didn't care to get overly familiar with your person. Caelbir, though, wasn't one to just ignore facts. They were filed away for the future if needed. That much you know of this man.

You arrive at the inn, the focal social point of the city. As the farm market empties, the vast majority of men and women who don't head home cross the street to the inn for food and, more alluringly, drink. You two are merely a couple in a few dozen already occupying the inn's porch, bar, two-story dining hall, and annex. Numerous serving girls mingle with serving trays and toting dozens of drinks. The aroma is just intoxicatingly delicious - you can taste to stew in the air, the fresh hops of the ale, and the sizzling meat from the fire. Of course, mingled into that is the musty stink of mansweat.

Caelbir, recognized by the servers immediately upon entering, is whisked to a tall standing table and a few words later a huge pitcher of a black ale is joined upon the tabletop with two mugs, and a promise of the mutton in just a few minutes. Caelbir, by this point, has all but forgotten you other than to forcefeed you this ale he's so happy about. His celebrity is being pulled in a dozen directions, either by those who know him or those whom he'd like to know more at the moment. He's like that, and he seems to have something to say to everyone - about their health, their farm, their kin, their favorite food, the last time they spoke, that bastard over at the other table, the Counts, and more. All of this, facts filed away...

The black ale, however, is exceedingly good.
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:34 pm

"Meh and meh blokes are looking for a farm hand. Tend the fields and our animals while we are gone. You would have a warm place to stay during the winter, meals, and a healthy life on the farm. Fairer than were you are now. Sokituem is the area. You familiar with it?"
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Dook wrote:"Meh and meh blokes are looking for a farm hand. Tend the fields and our animals while we are gone. You would have a warm place to stay during the winter, meals, and a healthy life on the farm. Fairer than were you are now. Sokituem is the area. You familiar with it?"

He nods. "South a bit, yeah? You the weird ones with the penguins? I don't know much about those seabirds, but I can grow anything you put in the ground." He just smiles like there's not a care in the world.
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:49 pm

"That is correct. Those Penguins grow on yeh. If your willing to learn, we can teach you the way of the penguin", I smile as I say this,"they keep you on your toes and having a green thumb is nice skill to have. You can be one of us weird ones if ya want. How's yeh work ethic?"
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm

"Hah! As I said I like you, but again it isn't my decision alone to make an expense much more than my original budget. Can you step away from your post to meet my partners and we discuss this further?"
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Esnach stretches. You notice he has a hunchback, but he seems spry enough, and muscled.
    "My God is Gathandir, of Earth, Unyielding, and of Oaths. I honor Him sincerely and He guides my actions. I do not shirk, and I do not betray my duties."

He pauses for a moment. "And I take the Oaths seriously. Which is, actually, why I'm here. I'm afraid I couldn't take your offer until a certain task is settled; I swore and oath to return an item. Help me with that, and I'll gladly take you up on yours."
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:43 pm

"Your devotion is admirable and noted. I will help you on your task. What item need to be returned to whom and/or where?"
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"Hah! As I said I like you, but again it isn't my decision alone to make an expense much more than my original budget. Can you step away from your post to meet my partners and we discuss this further?"

She's a sourpuss, that's for sure. "Would you step away from your work? You're with that dragonling, yes? He's got legs. And wings! And eyes to see." She stops speaking to you, because apparently you not longer are worthy to her, and she calls out to Zorra...

Dook wrote:"Your devotion is admirable and noted. I will help you on your task. What item need to be returned to whom and/or where?"

Just as Esnach is about to speak, a voice carries over to you. "You, Blackscales! Your manservant here needs your blessing. Come have a word."

Esnach looks somewhat amused at this. "Mind if I tag along?" He asks.
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I look over towards Bryan and the bloody woman. I nod in approval to Esnach. I think to myself how this might turn awfully wrong. I've been hearing her tune in the distance.

I begrudingly walk up to Bryan, not even giving the attention this woman thinks she deserves. "What's the problem Bryan." I take a puff from meh pipe as Esnach walks up with meh.
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I bid Caelbir farewell for now. Saying "better go look and see if the boys have found anyone suitable yet. I'll get back with ye' later Caelbir"

I head to Southromp to look for my companions.
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 pm

"Aye this butcher thinks she can handle the farm by herself, of that I have no doubt, but she demands more than our normal rates. What do you think?" I look at her, arms crossed scowling at her manservant remarks.
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Jamros Mageblood wrote:"Aye this butcher thinks she can handle the farm by herself, of that I have no doubt, but she demands more than our normal rates. What do you think?" I look at her, arms crossed scowling at her manservant remarks.

"Now don't get it twisted, pretty man. You made it sound as I'd be the one running the whole affair. That's most definitely worth what I demand. You think it right to pay bottom rate for the best work, then you're in the wrong part of town, friend."
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:01 pm

"No no you misunderstood, I can agree on the wage if it's just you, but it's not my decision alone. That's why I can't offer you what you want. If this man with Zorra is to work with you, my offer still stands." To the man with Zorra, "Now then friend, what do you bring to the table?"
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

She says, "Well, then what exactly are you looking for?"

He says, "Me? Oh, I'm just a farmer, better than average."
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 pm

"This is Esnach, I agreed to help him with a task so he will hear what we have to say. I like him. He reminds me of an old friend. The task shouldn't be too strenuous. Returning an item." I look at the butcher. "She seems capable. Tough worker of the like. With some extra help. Our farm should be in trusting hands."
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 pm

"Really? We're supposed to find people to do OUR work, not the other way around.." I sigh, exhausted, "Look I think Vaca would be perfect for the slaughter house. Eznach could work harvest and perhaps help improve our crops. As for security, we could ask the boy with the leather armor and scimitar if he wants in on it. Sound good?"
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 pm

I nod my head. "I like it. Go speak to him. I have business with Esnach to finish." I pat Bryan on the back to let him know I appreciate him.

I turn towards Esnach. "So friend, let meh help you. Tell Meh what you need done."
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:19 pm

"I thank you, kind sir, but I fear it's not so simple. Well. It is, the item, just a simple pocket watch. Alone the craftsmanship is impressive and, yes, expensive, but it belonged to my, ah... You could call him my father. He passed on, and his rest was desecrated. I aim to right the wrong and return his watch. Still in?"
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 pm

I take a puff of my pipe and stare at Esnach. I take in this story and tilt my head up and blow out the smoke.

"Why not. You seem like you were going to do it anyway, why not with meh help." I hold my hand out to make this official.

"Would I need to bring my companion along?"
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:13 pm

"Well. Don't know. I haven't yet located it. I've only tracked rumor here. Some slug, named Stadi or Stevy. That's all that I know."
    Jamros Mageblood
    Jamros Mageblood

Post by Jamros Mageblood Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Listening to their conversation I try to think if I know those names, or who we could ask. (Sage Feature?)

Last edited by Jamros Mageblood on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dook
    Dook

Post by Dook Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:22 pm

"My companion, that guy *I shrug my head towards Bryan* He can probaby help us on this quest of yours. You mind if we talk to this last guy, potential work mate of yours before we embark on this task? We could use his skills."

In meh mind I think *Where the hell is Sid.*
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:08 am

Sid is all
    Troyer
    Troyer
    Admin

Post by Troyer Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 am

Jamros Mageblood wrote:Listening to their conversation I try to think if I know those names, or who we could ask. (Sage Feature?)

[They aren't really "lore" in this case, but you are proficient in History...]

(11) You do not recognize those names. Especially since this guy doesn't really know if those are the correct names.

Dook wrote:"My companion, that guy *I shrug my head towards Bryan* He can probaby help us on this quest of yours. You mind if we talk to this last guy, potential work mate of yours before we embark on this task? We could use his skills."

In meh mind I think *Where the hell is Sid.*

Sid is lollygagging.

"Sure. Do whatever you need to. Thanks."
    Tolr'ax
    Tolr'ax

Post by Tolr'ax Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 am

I make my way to Southromp. I spy Bryan and Zorra with a woman and a man with a staff.

"Aye, whats been takin' ye two fools? Done already sold all the goods te Caelbir, went te the Inn, and had a few drinks. What's takin' ye so long? We are on a schedule. Are these the ones yer wantin' for the farm?" I walk over to the woman, I notice the carcass and the expert dressing. "Ye can certainly dress an animal, eh? Told these boys to find some good workers for our farm. Have they made ye' an offer? You are clearly the most capable one 'round here."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm